Monday, September 19, 2016

Work in the Chemistry Lab

The first thing I set my mind on for this genius project was the way in which I was going to make the kelp malleable or able to be worked with. If you have ever seen seaweed chilling on the beach it is smelly, dried out, and probably surrounded by nats. My problem is that if this disgusting seaweed is in the form of a bag that will be used countless times, it should not be in such a state, therefore I must figure out a way to preserve this sea plant. After plenty of research on the internet, I found a classified solution to this problem. All I can say is that it involves a compound(I will call it compound-X) that I can extract from an organic substance. The plant cells of the kelp absorb the compound, thus keeping the moisture in and allowing the kelp not to dry out. Now that the kelp is permanently moist, I can make it do what I want it to do.

I found a YouTube video for how to extract compound-X and set off, everyday after school for about two or so weeks, to the chemistry lab. It was tough mostly because the teacher only really stayed for about an hour after school directly got out, so my experiment was cut off in one hour intervals. If I was not done boiling after an hour, then I would have to clean up and nothing got done. The next session after school I thought I was being clever and I boiled the mixture at a higher temperature so that it would go faster, which now I know is never what you should do for anything. This just boiled out the compound-X because I exceeded its boiling point in the process. If my substance was set out overnight(even though I covered it!) it would dry out and I would have to start all over again. It was quite frustrating, however I have now perfected the process and all that is left now is to head to the chemistry lab again. I failed three times with each misstep teaching me something I should do differently. Even better, now the teacher has a distillation apparatus and a separatory funnel which will make my life even easier. For previously I was just make-shifting my way out of not having the correct tools.

This was last school year and now that I have AP Chemistry I am really excited to get back in the lab and try again. The irony of it is that after all these trials I learned that you can just buy this compound-X at the store for something quite cheap.  

No comments:

Post a Comment