Saturday, September 10, 2016

Hey guys this is the background on my project that this blog will follow. The GENIUS PROJECT

The genius project aims to incorporate a student's passion for something, an impact to the community, and a challenging task. I decided to incorporate my passion for chemistry, to solve the problem that we have with plastic pollution on our coasts, and to work with seaweed/kelp as an unconventional material.I feel that not only does my project directly impact our carlsbad community, it also addresses a problem that is impactful worldwide.

Trying to create a bag that is reusable and biodegradable is not a new concept, but I have decided to use a material(I guess you could call it a material) that in the definite probability that it ends up getting tossed away and heading to the ocean, will not cause a problem, for seaweed/kelp humbly resides in the sea proving it is not harmful there. Most people do not want anything to do with this slimy plant, but perhaps after I am through with it people may actually consider having it at their sides and carrying their things.
Thus far I have, noticed reusable bags in stores more, gone to the beach and wanted seaweed to briskly touch my leg so that I could grab it, stayed after school in the chemistry lab, arranged a meeting with someone in another country, got stopped by security at the airport, and altogether learned a thing or two. However, my genius project is not done. There is so much more to do before presenting it towards the end of senior year. I need to put everything together and ultimately share my achievements and complications along the way.
All in all, the genius project is challenging, but I genuinely appreciate it for its ability to motivate me to do something extra, yet enjoyable and useful, with my time.




No comments:

Post a Comment