Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Looking To The Near Future

I have hit a stalling point in my genius project and am looking to get it going again during thanksgiving break, but no doubt I have been thinking of things that I will do and ways that I will take the project while I have been idle.

I want to complete multiple single strip experiments on the kelp in order to perfect the conditions under which I will prepare the kelp to be used for the bag. Once I have a working formula and set of steps I can then make large amounts of progress on the prototype.

I want to go out into the ocean, for example the kelp beds, and get some kelp. What I will have to learn in order to do so, like how to cut the kelp from its growth or snorkeling, I will do

I also need to look into something organic that can get rid of the potent smell of my project. It is not pleasant, but I have not decided whether I should just mask the smell by putting something nice smelling over it(which usually does not work) or if I can find something that extracts the smell.

I also think it would be cool to come into contact with sushi restaurants that probably have large amounts of kombu that they use in their cooking in order to get the kombu that way.

Lastly, I think it would be beneficial to talk to another expert that works with unconventional materials, like a materials engineer or even a specialized fashion designer, who could share some insight into the best means of adhesive that I could use in making my bags if I decide that the hemp string is not the way to go. I know locally there is a fashion student named Peytie Slater who was on project runway. On this show some challenges were based off of unconventional materials and I think Peytie would have some good insight into how exactly she worked with them.

This is where I want to go with this project and I think there are some successes in store, for I have thus far fallen into a bit of failure, but am ready to pull myself out of it.

Lets tak a moment to look back on the beginning of my project when everything was nice and clean. When everything was going well. The genius project is meant to be a challenge and I am stuck in the middle of it. Since then I have run into mold and odor, but I am still looking up(that is if I can remember where I put the notes that I wrote for improvements on my processes).

<--Before After-->

No comments:

Post a Comment